Having just been on a workshop for Web 2.0 technoogies, we had a session on creating your own blog. I thought that this might be worth looking at as a way of keeping in contact. It has always struck me that it would be good to have a newsletter but maybe the blog can provide a way of helping keep up to date with the OU. You can also share with the group, what you are doing.
Look forward to seeing how this takes off....
Tuesday, 17 July 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
This has got me thinking about whether a blog would make a good icebreaker exercise for T175 (and possibly other courses). Could we possibly have a region wide blog? If we started it before the dayschool would it encourage people to come along to a face to face session? Just thinking aloud here but it would be interesting to know what others think.
Hi Hilary,
I think that this has a lot of potential and for very little effort. Only issue I can think of is the timing but as students have to have access to the internet to do the course, it sounds like a very good idea.
I was thinking that if tutors gave the address for the blog in their introductory letter/email we could perhaps encourage students to visit the blog and discuss (perhaps) hopes and fears for the course and reasons for studying, the sort of thing we used to do in introductory tutorials. As there is a facility for anonymous contributions they may feel more confident about posting and sharing hopes and fears usually seems to help new students.
I think the potential for using blogs for ice-breakers and other activity is OK, but we do need to think about how many different places we require students to look for information. Also, how many places do we want them to post information that we, as tutors, then have to visit to find out what postings have been made. My experience as a student on courses is that I'd much prefer to do everything in one place - i.e. a specific forum.
Post a Comment